Monday, March 30, 2009

SXSW Part II: Ben Kweller, Nelo, Jake Dilley and The Color Pharmacy, & The Jakes

As mentioned, I’m continuously broke due to the fact that I love the alchie…so I only participated in the free shows that took place before Wednesday.

The Belmont was THE place to be, or the only place I was, that had free music and FREE ALCOHOL. While there I was able to enjoy Ben Kweller, Nelo,
Jake Dilley and The Color Pharmacy, and The Jakes.

Ben Kweller… eh, most people in Austin know who this guy is.

Nelo is an Austin based band (or from Highland Park—but if I were them I would not advertise this tidbit, and I would definitely not wear an old HP high school shirt while playing). Regardless, they were pretty fantastic and extremely nice. The band members took pity on me as I tried telling them I was a legit blogger while being completely wasted. Props to them for not calling my ass out. Oh, and their music is legit. I would try and describe their music more—but I don’t really feel like it (Here’s where you reconsider ever reading this blog again.)



The drummer from Jake Dilley and The Color Pharmacy said he would describe their music as Pop Folk…I guess I agree. For some reason they reminded me of a pre-douchey Creed and Dave Mathews Band making a legit baby who doesn’t wear leather pants while shirtless (Creed, all fingers pointing at you). Instead, the singer looks like he has a part time job at Whole Earth and is ready to climb Pike’s Peak.



Jake Dilley and The Color Pharmacy is a band from Minneapolis. Really Trippey and I dig. The band consisted of all guys and a ginger woman who is partial to scarves and likes to use one those McDonald Happy Meal microphones. I think she and her plastic mike should go solo.









The Jakes from Irvine, CA are maybe a favorite of mine while at The Belmont, and I was completely sober when I listened to them so my commentary is not from a fabricated memory. Consider it a success. I think this indie rock band will be huge within a year, and according to their Facebook page they’re already getting play on The Real World (that show still exist?).




The band consist of 6 guys, 4 of which are Indian—which you never really see and major props. I think Slumdog Millionaire has set a trend for 2010…Jay HO! This band is truly great, and amazing live. While listening to them you would have thought they had already made it big, nothing was off key, stage presence was there, and they bring great energy to the stage. The only downside to this group…no one is named Jake. One comes close, but he goes by Jacob. I was kinda disappointed by this. I was hoping they were all named Jake and referred to each other by #1, #2, #3, ect. Sorda like George Foreman does to his 5 sons who are all named George Forman as well. The Jakes I feel are really missing out on a niche here.

And P.S. I tried finding a different Youtube video with as good of quality...but failed. This picture is a little too Al-Queda, and looks like a Youtube video where they're about to get their heads cutoff...too harsh? Not appropriate? I figured. Shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment